Dr. Richard A. Knopp
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION AND TEACHING
- Ph.D. in Philosophy,
Dissertation: “Religious Belief and the Problems of Cognitivity and Commitment: A Reappraisal Based on Contemporary Philosophy of Science.”
- M.A. in Philosophy, Southern Illinois University at
Thesis: “Karl Popper’s Concept of Rationality in Science.”
- M.Div. in Philosophy and Theology,
Christian Seminary, 1979.
- B.A. in
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS &
- Philosophy of Religion; Apologetics; Worldview Studies; Philosophy of Science; Ethics.
- Undergraduate Courses: Introduction to Worldviews; Christianity and Science; Ethics; Philosophy of Religion; Introduction to Apologetics; Logic; The Contemporary Pluralistic World (lecturer).
- Graduate/Seminary Courses: Christianity and the Philosophy of Religion; Science, Theology, and Philosophy; Understanding Contemporaray Mindsets; Ethics; Types of Apologetics.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society.
- Evangelical Theological Society.
- Founding Editorial Board Member for the Stone-Campbell Journal (1998-2002).
- Program Coordinator for the Room For Doubt grant program, a $675,000 grant.
- Grant writer and Program Director for WorldViewEyes, a program funded by six grants totaling $1,027,530 from Lilly Endowment Inc. (2000-present).
- Athletic Hall of Fame (basketball), St. Louis Christian College (inaugural class inductee, 2013). Currently ranked 2nd all-time scorer (2,225 points. 22.7 pts/game; all-time leader in freethrows attempted and in free throws made).
- 2010 Distinguished Alumni Award, St. Louis Christian College.
- 2007 Wolford Award from St. Louis Christian College. Granted to former SLCC students "who exhibit Christian character and have made significant impact on SLCC athletics and in ministry."
- $10,000 award winner from the Templeton Foundation for developing model courses in science and religion (1991). Course entitled “Science and Theology: Problems, Perspectives, and Possibilities.”
- "Review of Making Sense of God: An Invitation to the Skeptical by Timothy Keller. Requested book review for the Christian Standard (February 2017 issue on Christian Apologetics). http://christianstandard.com/2017/02/helping-the-skeptical-see-god.
- "Moral Absolutes and Moral Worth: A Proposal for Christian Ethics Inspired by Norman L. Geisler." In I AM Put Here for the Defense of the Gospel: Dr. Norman L. Geisler: A Festschrift in His Honor, 317-345. Edited by Terry Miethe. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2016.
- “Easter is On!: Resurrection Resources.” Christian Standard 150 (March 2015): 30–31. Additional resources to accompany the article can be found HERE.
- "Where Will We Go Without God?" Christian Standard 149 (June 2014): 38-40. For a webcast interview regarding this special issue on apologetics, see "Beyond the Standard--Apologetics is Different Now" accessible at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/standardpublishing.
- "On the Conceptual Relationship Between Religion and Science: Considerations from a Christian Perspective." In Theology in the Present Age: Essays in Honor of John D. Castelein, pp. 73-99. Eugene, OR: Pickwik Publications, 2013.
- Review of Loving Wisdom: Christian Philosophy of Religion by Paul Copan. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2007, submitted by request to Encounter.
- Review of The Future of Atheism: Alister McGrath and Daniel Dennett in Dialogue. Edited by Robert Stewart. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2008. In The Stone-Campbell Journal (Spring 2010): 108-110.
- Co-editor with
John Castelein, Taking Every Thought Captive: Essays in Honor of James D. Strauss.
College Press, 1997.
- “On the Value of the Philosophy of Science for Christian Faith and Ministry,” chap. in Taking Every Thought Captive: Essays in Honor of James D. Strauss.
: College Press, 1997.
- "Apologetics in Our Modern Postmodern Age: Some Insights from the Philosophy of Science. The Journal of Campus Ministry 2 (1996): 1-4.
For a list of some presentations that includes resources, Click HERE
For presentation endorsements, CLICK HERE.
Presentations for Churches,
Schools, and Campus Ministries
- "Learning to Love God, Not the World." Sermon for Lincoln Christian Seminary chapel (Jan. 25, 2017)
- "Room For Doubt at a Christian University?" Sermon to introduce the Room For Doubt Six-Week Series for undergraduate chapel, Lincoln Christian University (Jan. 10, 2017).
- Workshop and Q&A for Room For Doubt area-wide campaign. Shelbyville, IL area (Nov. 20, 2016).
- "Biblical Guidelines for Defending the Christian Faith in a World of Alternatives"
- "Key Considerations for Defending (and Living) Your Faith"
- "Dealing with Doubt While Making Disciples." Senior Saints presentation. Jefferson Street Christian Church, Lincoln, IL (Nov. 10, 2016).
- "Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?" and Q&A Event (Mar 20, 2016). Chillicothe, IL
- "Thinking about the Elephant in the Room: A Christian Approach to Science" (Feb. 24, 2016). High School at Westside Christian Church, Springfield, IL..
- "Encountering God Who Sometimes Doesn't Make Sense" (Feb. 17, 2016). Chapel sermon at Lincoln Christian Seminary. Click HERE for video.
- "Why Does God Allow Tragedy and Suffering?"; workshop on "Room for Doubt, Yet Reaons for Hope;" and Q&A Event (Jan 31, 2016). Minier, IL.
- "The Cultural Demise and the Demands of a Christian Worldview" (Oct. 20, 2015). Illinois State Ministers' Retreat.
- "Who Are You? A New Way of Thinking about Following Jesus." High School Worship Message (April 19, 2015). Eastview Christian Church, Normal, IL.
- Apologetics Conference at Cincinnati Christian University (March 20-21, 2015). Four sessions. For a video of the session on "Room for Doubt, yet Reason for Hope," CLICK HERE.
- "Addressing Doubts about Faith." Winter Retreat for Illinois/Iowa Campus Ministries. Springfield, IL (Feb. 27-28, 2015). Three sessions.
- "Faith: Is There Room for Doubt?" Illinois Christian Teen Convention (Nov. 8, 2014).
- "The Demise and the Demands of the Christian Worldview." Area Men's Meeting. Macomb, IL (Oct. 27, 2014).
- "Love God, Not the World" (1 John 2:15-17). Message for College Church, Illinois State University, sponsored by Eastview Christian Church, Bloomington, IL (Oct. 23, 2014).
- "The Day God Left" (Ezek 9:1-11; 10:1-22). Message for chapel, Lincoln Christian Seminary. Click HERE for just audio recording. Click HERE for audio with slides.
- "If You Continue in the Faith" (Colossians 1:21-23). Presentation for high school camp, Little Galilee Christian Camp (June 18, 2014).
- "We Are The Church." Sermon at Lincoln Christian Church. Lincoln, IL (May 25, 2014).
- Room For Doubt Seminar, Madison Park Christian Church, Quincy, IL (March 7-8, 2014). Four sessions. Click HERE for resources.
- Room For Doubt Seminar, Christian Church of Clarendon Hills, IL (March 1-2, 2014). Four sessions and sermon. Click HERE for resources.
- "Grace Fights for Deliverance" (2 Cor. 10:1-6): Message for Lincoln Christian University chapel (Feb. 11, 2014). Audio only recording. Audio with Slides.
- 2013 Commencement Address for St. Louis Christian College. CLICK HERE for audio.
- "An Introduction to Christian Apologetics": Special Study at Lincoln Christian Church (5 sessions, April-May, 2013).
- "Living a Christian Worldview in an Age of Alternatives" - Taylorville Christian Church, Taylorville, IL (Oct, 2012)
- "God's Call to a Christian Worldview"
- "Worldview Lessons from the Apostle Paul"
- "Being a Confident Christian in a Culture of Competitors"
- "The Story: Beginnings": West Side Christian Church, Springfield, IL (Sept-Oct, 2012)
- "The Beginning of the Story" (Gen 1-9)
- "The Origin of God's Nation" (Gen 12-35)
- "Joseph: From Favored Son, to Slave, to Egyptian Sovereign"
- “Learning to Love God with Your Worldview”: Northview Church, Carmel, IN (and West Lafayette campus by video). Six presentations (April-May, 2011).
- “Singing in Our Celebration (Psalm 19): Chapel sermon for Lincoln Christian Seminary (Nov. 2010). Click HERE for audio and slides.
- “Genesis, Science, and the Christian Worldview”: Mahomet (IL) Christian Church, scheduled for Oct. 15-16, 2010.
- “The Story of One Universe (Genesis 1)”: Lincoln Christian University, Undergraduate Studies chapel (Sept. 2010).
- K. T. Norris Lectureship at Maritime Christian College, Prince Edward Island, Canada (January 2010). Four lectures and two sermons on developing and applying a Christian worldview.
- “Science, Genesis, and the Christian Worldview”: Madison Park Christian Church, Quincy, IL (2010).
- "An Orientation to Worldviews and a Biblical Worldview": leadership training event for Lincoln (IL) Christian Church (2009).
- "Being Truly Christian in a World with Clashing Worldviews": 3 sessions at Westbrook Christian Church in Bolingbrook, IL (2009).
- "A Christian Perspective on Science and Evolution": Bible & Worldview Institute presentation at Morris (IL) Christian Church (2009).
- "The Need for a Biblical Worldview in an Age of Options": Bible & Worldview Institute presentation at Morris (IL) Christian Church (2009).
- "The Need for a Biblical Worldview in an Age of Options": Bible & Worldview Institute presentation at Lincoln (IL) Christian Church (2008).
- "Developing and Living a Biblical Worldview in an Age of Options" (5 weeks):
Lincoln Christian Church Crusaders' Sunday School (2007).
"Me, My World, and My Worldview" (3 weeks): Lincoln Christian Church Senior High Fusion (2007).
"Biblical Ethics and Absolutes": Madison Park Christian Church, Quincy, IL (2006).
"Starting to Think about BIGGER Things": Eastview Christian Church, Bloomington, IL (2006).
"Evolutionism, Creationism, and Intelligent Design": Southside Christian Church, Springfield, IL (2006).
"Learn 2 See: Understanding and Developing a Biblical Worldview" - Staff development workshop at Lincoln Christian College & Seminary, Lincoln, IL (2005).
College Park Christian Church, Normal, IL (2005):
- "A Christian Orientation to Competing Worldviews"
- "Evolutionism and Creationism"
- "Intelligent Design: Is It an Intelligent Movement?"
Lincoln Christian College & Seminary Staff Retreat (2005)
Western Illinois University Campus Ministry Retreat (2005)
LeRoy Christian Church, LeRoy, Illinois (2004): “Worldview Vaccination”
(2004): “Learning to Do and Teach ‘Worldview Thinking’”
- First Christian Church of
(2001): Apologetic Series
- First Christian Church of
(2001): Christianity & Science Series
- Eastview Christian Church, Bloomington, Illinois (1993): Seminar on "World Religions"
Church Conference & Convention Presentations (All of these are multimedia in nature)
- "Why is the Church Losing Her Kids, and What Can We Do About It?" Truth Conference. Hosted at Riverside Community Church, Peoria, IL (Nov. 19, 2016).
- "Learning to Love God in a World of Growing Skepticism and Secularism." North American Christian Convention, Anaheim, CA (July 13, 2016).
- "Learning to Love God in a World of Skeptics and Alternative Ways of Life." Intentional Church Conference, Decatur, IL (April 23, 2016).
- "Being Relevant in a Culture of Growing Doubt and Skepticism." Michigan Christian Convention (April 2016). Four sessions.
- "Learning to Speak with Conviction When There is Room for Doubt." North American Christian Convention, Cincinnati, OH (June 24, 2015).
- "Faith: Is There Room For Doubt?" Illinois Christian Teen Convention, Lincoln, IL (Nov. 2014).
- "Rethinking Worldview: A New Paradigm for Christian Discipleship." North American Christian Convention, Indianapolis, IN (2014).
- "Loving God: A New Paradigm for Understanding and Living a Christian Worldview" and "Room For Doubt: Guidelines for Defending Faith." Intentional Church Conference, Decatur, IL (April 26, 2014).
- “The Church’s Need for Worldview Inoculation.”
Eastern Christian Convention,
“Worldview Inoculation: Get a Christian Shot Where It Counts!” North American Christian Convention Teen Convention,
- “Worldviews for Christian Teens.”
Region Evangelical Theological Society,
- “The Call to Pastoral Leadership”. Lilly Endowment Forum,
- “The Worldviews of My Neighbors." National Missionary Convention,
- “A Birdseye View of World Religions." National Missionary Convention,
- “Destined to Encounter Competing Worldviews” and “Destined to Interact with Science.”
National Youth Leaders’ Convention,
- “Defending Christian Faith Against Competing Worldviews” and “Encountering Competing Worldviews." National Missionary Convention,
- “Science and Christian Apologetics.”
North American Christian Convention,
“A New Testament Model for Developing Moral Values in an Amoral World." Southern Illinois
Youth & Youth Leader Conferences (all presentations are multimedia in nature and were written and produced by Rich Knopp and WVE staff)
- "Your Faith is in Danger: Prepare for the Assault." Lincoln Christian University high school Fall Campus Challenge (Oct. 29, 2016).
"Who Am I? A New Way to Think about Following Jesus." The Vine high school event at Lincoln Christian University (April 2, 2016).
- American Baptist Youth Conference (Pontiac, IL): Workshop on World Religions (2010).
Christian Teen Convention (2003): “Worldviews in the Bible and Your Culture”
- Christ in Youth Summer Conferences (2004): “Through God’s Eyes"
Family Camp (2003): Presentations for youth & adults on worldviews
- Christ in Youth Summer Conferences (2003): Produced three multimedia presentations.
- Christ in Youth Discipleship Retreats (2002): “A Christian Response to Muslim Terrorism and 9-11”
- Christ in Youth Summer Conferences (2002): “A Christian Response to Islam and Muslim Terrorism” and “The God of
vs. The God of the Holy Book”
Christian Youth Convention (2002): “Developing Worldview Eyes by Cultivating a Christian Mind”
Christian Youth Convention (2002): “Developing Worldview Eyes by Comprehending Competing Worldviews in Contemporary Culture”
- Christ in Youth Discipleship Retreats (2001): “The Spiritual Disciplines in Today’s World”
- Christ in Youth Summer Conferences (2001): “Right or Wrong: Tough Ethical Issues for Teenagers”
- Tennessee Christian Teen Convention, Knoxville, Tennessee (2000): “In a World of Worldviews and Not of It: Worldviews and Your Christian Mission”
- Christ in Youth Discipleship Retreats (2000): “A Christian Response to a Culture of Confusion and Competing Worldviews”
- Christ in Youth Summer Conferences (2000): “Ancient Questions—Competing Answers”
CURRENT RESEARCH AND WRITING INTERESTS:
CHURCH & PARACHURCH MINISTRY EXPERIENCE
Learning to Love God: A Christian Worldview Apologetic - A text that offers an innovative approach to worldview; surveys prominent worldviews; provides strategies for evaluating worldviews; and discusses what it means to live a Christian worldview.
- "Lessons from Contemporary Philosophy of Science for the Stone-Campbell Heritage." Forthcoming chapter in a book on philosophy and the Stone-Campbell Movement, edited by Caleb Clanton.
"The Legacy of the Kuhn-Popper Debate: Some Lessons for Evangelicals." Academic paper being prepared for publication.
- Designing and offering multimedia presentations on Christian worldview and apologetics.
- Married since 1971. Three children and 7 grandchildren.
- Wife, Paula, teaches psychology at Lincoln College, a private college in Lincoln, IL that was established by some of Abraham Lincoln's friends in the 1860s.
- Preacher's son. Lived in Kentucky, Iowa, Wyoming, Missouri, Illinois, and North Carolina.
- Had 2 retina detachments in my left eye, several eye surgeries in 2005-2006, and spinal fusion surgery in 2016.
- Enjoy golf, pingpong, tennis, and billiards (though I could do those things a lot better when I could see with two eyes and before I blew out my left ALC. Before that, I also loved volleyball, basketball, and wiffleball).
- Played The King in Lincoln Community Theater's 1991 production of "The King and I." In 2015, I sang "It's a Puzzlement" from this show for LCT's fund-raising production, "LCT: An Encore."
- Former all-time scoring leader in basketball (22.7 pts/game) at St. Louis Christian College: record held for about 20 years (before the use of the 3-point line).
- Played second base for a high school AAA State Champion baseball team (North Carolina).
- High school all-state second baseman (North Carolina).
- Played trumpet and was drum major in high school band.
For speaking and presentation endorsements, CLICK HERE.